foxvalleymetrodiscgolfclub.com LiveChat
October 26, 2014, 01:56:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: To get posting privileges, please send a PM to handicapper.
Monday Night Random Draw Doubles Every Monday at 6pm alternating between Jericho Lake and Eagle Ridge.
The Sunday Morning Bag Tag Challenge is played every Sunday at 9:00 am at Eagle Ridge.

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Park District Pulls Baskets at Madison Meadows!  (Read 1871 times)
Risk
DiscGolfer

« on: October 12, 2010, 07:24:09 AM »

My buddy just told me that the Lombard Park District pulled all the baskets at Madison Meadows because a causal player hit a bystander in the head with a disc.  What really sucks is that this one guy ruined it for all the courteous golfers that play that course.

Force, Wraith/Surge, SOLF/Crush, Predator, Stalker, Buzzz, Fuse, Focus, and Magnet
krupicka
IL State Coordinator
Webmaster
DiscGolfer

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »

These types of issues are why the club needs to discourage use of hole 19 at Oswego in casual play (In tournaments with spotters it's a different story). Please don't throw hole 19 if you want the other 18 to stay in the ground.

Mike Krupicka
IL State Coordinator
PDGA #28238
osborne
DiscGolfer

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:45:13 PM »

its funny that you worry about 19 but say nothing about 17 and 18 longs where its also an issue. 
krupicka
IL State Coordinator
Webmaster
DiscGolfer

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:00:29 PM »

The difference between 19 and 17/18 is that 17/18 are elevated above the path and have a better view of it. 19 is completely blind.

Mike Krupicka
IL State Coordinator
PDGA #28238
CEValkyrie
DiscGolfer

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 08:42:39 PM »

Totally lame.

Do they shut the softball and baseball diamonds down when a foul ball hits someone?
Do they close their regular golf course when someone gets jacked by a ball?
Do they close their ice skating rink when someone falls and gets hurt?

Bald Eagle
Fox Valley Metro DGC President
Club Officer
DiscGolfer

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »

Lombard Park District is investigating the event.  Bottom line is that someone was seriously injured by a flying object.  This is where we can come in and shine with promoting safe practices on disc golf courses.  Lombard is handling a difficult situation at this time and patience is appreciated by all.  Blaine
Bald Eagle
Club Officer
DiscGolfer

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:41:55 PM »

One additional note. Think this is the time for all the Club's to come together and have a summit.  Club's getting together to act as one in:  course ediquite,  rules,  disc golf education and overall community communication.  We are visitors at some Parks,  others were Club's have a huge presence and donate funds might have a bigger voice.  Overall bringing us all together as a whole will give us much more power in the long run.  Like to put Fox Valley Metro's hat in on the Gathering of the Club's.  

FVMDGC
President
Blaine Schepp
630 913-4357
Tafe
DiscGolfer

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »

Totally lame.

Do they shut the softball and baseball diamonds down when a foul ball hits someone?
Do they close their regular golf course when someone gets jacked by a ball?
Do they close their ice skating rink when someone falls and gets hurt?

I totally agree.  HOWEVER...

All those activities that you listed are profit-generating enterprises for a park district.  We are not.  And I would imagine that those activities have built-in insurance policies to protect the users.  It's also pretty obvious when you are on a ball-golf course, diamond or rink, whereas alot of people use our course for dog-walking and other activities.  And at Madison Meadows, each fall the place is PACKED with football and soccer practice/games.

So,what's the point?
Maybe we could get better communication with the park district (esp. in Lombard) to help communicate with the players and parents of these other activities that they are on our course and people will be playing around them.  Also, I rarely see any signage alerting other park users that they are entering a disc golf course and should watch out for flying discs.  Maybe on our club courses we could donate such signs?

PDGA member #19740 since 2001
Certified Official since 2004
Adv. winner 2004 Channahon Classic, 2009 Iron Lion Safari, 2011 J-town Club Invitational (Am)
Glenn
DiscGolfer

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »

Tafe that sounds like a very good idea putting up signs Glenn.  Also I played at Chanahan last tournament when players between rounds were throwing for distance into people playing Ultimate , lucky nobody got hit there.
my_arm_is_sore
DiscGolfer

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »

Just saw this, I feel very bad for whoever got hit with a disc. Obviously the fault of the golfer (Is there any way it couldn't be?). Madison is close to me but don't play there much (not too challenging).  Has it been suggested that they shorten the course a bit and reconfigure the holes?  The few holes that are over 500 are not challenging anyway, if they shortened those and reconfigured the rest I would think they could stay away from all the other stuff (I had to skip 3 holes last time because of people in the way).  It would be better served as a beginner course like Jericho, as there is absolutely no elevation, no risk/reward shots etc.  Just my 2 cents.

Steve S
krupicka
IL State Coordinator
Webmaster
DiscGolfer

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 07:42:04 PM »

Make Madison Meadows a shorter course!? You've got to be kidding. The area does not need more beginner's courses. Those holes over 500 are tough threes. Nothing wrong with that. If you think it is too easy, then play the long tees.

Mike Krupicka
IL State Coordinator
PDGA #28238
my_arm_is_sore
DiscGolfer

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »

Ummm, isn't that better than it being pretty much closed?  YOU'VE got to be kidding.  Yes those 3 holes or whatever are tough three's but they are not challenging or fun.  The area needs a lot more good courses, designed right on good land just for disc golf.  Like Highland in Joliet.  But I would rather them make Madison a safe park where people don't get hurt from 40 mph hard plastic discs and be shorter than just have it closed period.
krupicka
IL State Coordinator
Webmaster
DiscGolfer

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 09:16:54 PM »

The most dangerous two holes on that course are also the shortest. Shortening the holes doesn't make it safer.

Mike Krupicka
IL State Coordinator
PDGA #28238
my_arm_is_sore
DiscGolfer

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »

Shorten the long holes so you can reconfigure the WHOLE course to make it safer for everyone.  That is what I said.  Sorry if I am being too blunt, but disc golf is a rapidly growing sport and I think everyone needs to think about making courses safer going forward. Years ago I was hit with a disc while playing solo, no one's fault it was a blind hole.. I was approaching and someone just drove before checking....  But I can tell you (it hit me right next to the eye) it is not pleasant.... and fast moving discs cut.  I worry because a lot of newer courses (Hoffman Estates, even Dekalb a few years back) have you throwing over or near bike paths etc.  Others still have tees too close to greens, or have you walking over fairways etc.  This is the wrong thread for this conversation, but I think some newer players (or those that don't care) have the potential to do great harm on some courses...... as was probably the case here.   
Bald Eagle
Club Officer
DiscGolfer

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 10:04:35 PM »

Very pleased with the discussion on this topic.  Thoughts have been constructive for the most part. Overall I think the Forum on Fox Valley is very positive and uplifting.  Thanks for your very crafted hints and responses.  Love the game of Disc and I would be greatfull if we could educate and accommodate the Public about our respect for the game and courses provided to us by local tax payers.  Yes we have a voice were we are present with our donations and contributions.  Contributions is a huge word that goes deep, could mean: offering a disc out of a trunk to a family having an afternoon then following up with a brief lesson and welcome to the course, picking up garbage and getting to know the care takers of our fine stomping grounds, offering free lessons is precious(Sr.), hundreds of hours designing a course and implementing the man power to create these fine sanctuaries. This game in this town has brought so many people together that I can not count.  Thanks for helping me with these forum discussions.  Love from the Schepp's:  Blaine  AKA ( Bald Eagle )!  last round at Eagle 901 rating.  do not know what theat means but I would love to play a round with anyone.  630 913 4357 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:30:06 PM by Bald Eagle » Logged
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: